Exchange 2007 Event ID 1009 transport service doesn't work.

This forum is to discuss Exchange 2007 problems and resolutions. It will also include Exchange 2007 Hints and Tips

Postby newbie » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:23 pm

Hi All,

I am in desperate need for help. I have looked all over the web and this same problem was posted in a lot of places, but with no resolution. I hope you can help let's get to the problem:

I have just installed Exchange 2007 server on windows 2003 R2 SP2 64-bit our enviorment already has 2 Domain controllers running windows 2003 SP2 32-bit and a single Exchange 2003 32-bit server.
I had no problem or errors during the installation, but after the installation is finished my Exchange services did not start automatically. I have fixed that by using the domain admin account to start it. now only my Exchange transport service does not want to start and always give the following error each time I try to start it:

With domain admin account:
Of course of that the Microsoft Exchange Mail Submission service can't
contact the Transport service:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: MSExchangeMailSubmission
Event Category: MSExchangeMailSubmission
Event ID: 1009
Date: 28.12.2007
Time: 16:18:00
User: N/A
Computer: X64-SERVER
Description:
The Microsoft Exchange Mail Submission service is currently unable to
contact any Hub Transport servers in the local Active Directory site. The
servers may be too busy to accept new connections at this time.

with local system ou network service account :
the service failed to start
error 7000 + 7009

I hope some one here can help me.

Best Regards,
Newbie.

Postby forumadmin » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:48 pm

Hi Newbie,

lol :lol: , it seems you are not the only one facing this problem. I have a lot of my colleagues facing the same problem. Ok I had faced the same one few months ago and it was due to that my Microsoft Exchange Mail Submission service on the mailbox cluster was not started. It seems for some reason when installing Exchange 2007 prior to SP1 it used to fail to automatically start the submission service on the mailbox server and you have to go and change the service user to domain admin account or to a service account with proper permission and start it and enable it if disabled. I had to restart the server after that and things got to start working. That was said there is few other reasons this can happen. Below I am quoting Microsoft article for the different reasons and resolutions, but with few modifications and additions.

* The Microsoft Exchange Transport service is not running on a Hub Transport server.
* The MAPI RPC connection is blocked between the Mailbox server and Hub Transport server.
* The Hub Transport server has reached the maximum number of submission threads that the server can have open at the same time to send messages from mailboxes. This behavior may occur if the computer that is running the Mailbox server role has multi-processors and the computer that is running the Hub Transport server role is a single processor. In this configuration, the Mailbox server may submit more e-mail traffic than the Hub Transport server can process.
* not enough memory (4GB is required) or Disk Space resources.
* Microsoft Exchange Mail Submission service on the mailbox server or cluster not running.

To resolve this warning, follow one or more of these steps:

* Make sure that the Microsoft Exchange Transport Service is enabled and running on the Hub Transport server.
* Make sure that no firewalls filter network data or block MAPI remote procedure call (RPC) traffic between the Mailbox server and Hub Transport server.
* Make sure that the Mailbox server and the Hub Transport server are not deployed in a perimeter network.
* If this frequently occurs, consider whether you should add more processors on the Hub Transport server. You can also increase the value of MaxConcurrentMailboxSubmissions by using the Set-TransportServer cmdlet.
* Make sure that the Microsoft Mail Submission service on the is enabled and running on the mailbox server / cluster.
* IF you find event 15002 in the eventlog from MSExchangeTransport stating insufficient resources then the best way to resolve it is to provide sufficient resource, but if that is not feasible then you can follow the resolution below for non-production or immediate temp solution:
1- open the EdgeTransport.exe.config file in C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Bin.
2- either disable exchange monitoring threshold completely or increase the threshold for the desired parameter. To disable monitoring completely you must change the following string
<add key="EnableResourceMonitoring" value="true" />
and replace it with
<add key="EnableResourceMonitoring" value="false" />

It would be much better to not disable monitoring threshold completely and only increase the threshold value for the resource that has insufficient resources most likely disk or memory. It is totally not recommended to change these threshold or disable monitoring in production. I am not sure even if that is support solution for production environment. The best resolution as I mention is to meet the hardware requirement and ensure sufficient resources.

I hope that helps.
Please post back your feedback.
Best Regards,
forumadmin
Last edited by forumadmin on Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
forumadmin

Postby newbie » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:31 pm

Hi ForumAdmin,

All I can say you are the man and thanks a lot.
Your post solved my issue and seems I were having the exact situation u faced. As soon I enabled and started the Exchange submission service with domain admin account then restarted the server everything got to work as expected.

Again thanks a lot.
Keep up the good work
:D

Return to Exchange 2007 Help Forum