notes for outlook users

This Forum to Discuss E-Mail systems comparisons posted on our site. In addition, to compare any other e-mail systems or request a mail system comparison.

notes for outlook users

Postby movingfromoutlook » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:58 pm

My company is moving from outlook to notes.

Is anyone aware of any resources that "map" outlook tasks to notes. For example, in outlook I can drag an email into my task folder or my calendar. I can't do that in Notes. So, what is the most efficient way to create tasks or appointments in Notes.

Can I convert appointments into meetings in Notes, the way I do in Outlook?

I copied my sent items into a folder I created. When I deleted them from my sent items database, the items in the folder were also deleted. What did I do wrong?

How does the terminology map? Are groups=distribution lists? Are folders=folders? What is the equivalent in outlook of views?

Are archives=pst files?

These are only a few of our many questions
movingfromoutlook

RE: How does notes tasks map for outlook users

Postby vmguru007 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:31 pm

Hi,

Why I am not surprised of your questions? Yeah I remember i had been in your shoes before. Ok, Lotus Notes is a great product but take a bit of time to get used to if moving from Outlook. The thing people does not see in Notes as soon they switch from Exchange is that Domino provide each user which its independent database in comparing to the shared databases used in Exchange. That make database corruption harder to occur and if they occur they will only affect one user instead of punch of them. That have been said let me try to answer your questions answers will be in Red:

Is anyone aware of any resources that "map" outlook tasks to notes. For example, in outlook I can drag an email into my task folder or my calendar. I can't do that in Notes. So, what is the most efficient way to create tasks or appointments in Notes.

Ok the easiest way to do that is to open the e-mail you want to use as a task then from the message drop down menus under the "copy into New" Menu choose "new calender entry" and that immediately will insert that e-mail into a calender entry.

Or right click on the e-mail and from the drop down menu select "copy into" ==> "New calender Entry"

Can I convert appointments into meetings in Notes, the way I do in Outlook?
Not sure what do u mean? If you can elaborate on this a bit more then maybe I can help

I copied my sent items into a folder I created. When I deleted them from my sent items database, the items in the folder were also deleted. What did I do wrong?
Can you provide us with the method you had copied and deleted the messages with, as that is not usually the case. I usually copy by right click and from the drop down menu I chose copy. I hope you were not choosing copy link or so on. If you copy the messages the right way it should not be deleted when you remove them from sent items. Please note when you try to delete an item in Lotus notes it ask you if you want to delete all instances of it or just remove it from the current view. In your case remove it from the current view is the right option as you don't want it to be deleted from every where in your database. The reason of that is Lotus trying to keep its database most efficient and does not keep multiple copy of the same message, but provide multiple links to it when copying saving space and enhancing performance

How does the terminology map? Are groups=distribution lists? Are folders=folders? What is the equivalent in outlook of views?
yes you are right of these mappings

Are archives=pst files?
yes again you are correct, Lotus Notes archives are equivalent to Outlook pst files. Remember Lotus provide every user with its own database, so the archive of your own mail database is the equivalent of your .pst file in Outlook.

I hope that helped.
Enjoy
VMGuru007
vmguru007

more questions

Postby movingfromoutlook » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:01 pm

The earlier response was very helpful. As I continue to work with Notes, I have more questions.

Can anyone tell me if I can do the following:

forward a meeting request from one person to another person (i.e. invite someone to a meeting who was not invited by the person who set up the meeting)

If I drag several emails that I have received into a new email that I want to send someone, is there any way to display the subject under the icon as Outlook does? Otherwise I get a bunch of identical icons that I can't visually tell apart. Using the preview option works, but it's a longer process.

when we migrated from outlook, our outlook .pst files became archive files in Notes. Is there any way to drag and drop archived items into current folders in the Inbox? I have tried cutting and pasting, but that requires that I go down to the lowest folder level. Way too time-consuming.

Since the databases are all stored on my local machine, what can I do to back them up so that if my hard drive goes I can restore my databases?
movingfromoutlook

RE: How does notes tasks map for outlook users

Postby vmguru007 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:09 pm

Hi movingfromoutlook,

I am glad my earlier tips helped. Ok, I will try my best to answer your questions below. I will reply again in Red as it will be easier for other to distinguish the answers in the future.

===============================================
forward a meeting request from one person to another person (i.e. invite someone to a meeting who was not invited by the person who set up the meeting)

If I drag several emails that I have received into a new email that I want to send someone, is there any way to display the subject under the icon as Outlook does? Otherwise I get a bunch of identical icons that I can't visually tell apart. Using the preview option works, but it's a longer process.

Hi did you try to mark the e-mails you want to forward then right click then choose copy selected as a table. Then go to the e-mail you are writing and paste it there. This will add a nice table with the attachment and summary of each to your e-mail. I hope this what you were requesting.

when we migrated from outlook, our outlook .pst files became archive files in Notes. Is there any way to drag and drop archived items into current folders in the Inbox? I have tried cutting and pasting, but that requires that I go down to the lowest folder level. Way too time-consuming.
well, I am not sure what you are trying to do in here. Are you trying to get your archive database to look like your current database? do you have a local replica of your database?

Since the databases are all stored on my local machine, what can I do to back them up so that if my hard drive goes I can restore my databases?

For this are you using an archive? If you are using an archive then all you need is to copy your archive .nsf file. It you are using Local replica of your mail database as well all you need is your replica .nsf file. You can find where is your .nsf file is located by right click on the database you want to backup and choose properties. What would be more fun of backing it up at least what I and my buddies do is to copy the full Lotus & Notes folder and keep it on our 2 GB Flash memory. That does not just allow us to backup notes, but to even run it from any pc or TP without installing notes :). Its a great feeling that you have your secure notes every where you go that Outlook can't give you !!!.

==============================================

Enjoy,
vmguru007
vmguru007

Re: notes for outlook users

Postby zlatan24 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:00 pm

So,today my friends were at my home and we were talking about other things.My friends told me how once they found next tool in net-download outlook pst repair tool.As they said software solved all their problems with mails.On example damaged mails.Besides utility demonstrate the friends and me too some of it abilities: extract data from corrupted files with *.pst or *.ost extension.
zlatan24

Return to E-Mail Systems Comparisons